Conventional Name: State of Israel (Medinat Yisra’el).
Surface area: 20,770 km².
Comparison with a European country: about half the size of The Netherlands.
Capital: Israel considers Jerusalem as its capital. Only Honduras and San Salvador have their diplomatic representations in the city, all the other countries represented in Israel have their embassy in Tel Aviv.
Population : 6.172.000
Young people under 25 Years Old: 27%
GDP: 125,481 million US $.
Ethnic background: Jewish 80% (Europe and America origin 32%, Israel origin 20.8%, Africa origin 14.6%, Asia origin 12.6%), non-Jewish 20% (mostly Arabs), (see: Israeli citizenship).
Religions: Jewish 80.1%, Muslims 14.6% (mostly Sunni), Christians 2%, others 3.2%.
Language: Hebrew (official), Arabic used officially for Arab minority, English most commonly used foreign language.
Currency (2002): 1 new Israeli Shekel (NIS) = 100 new Agorot. (1 NIS= 0,24 US $)
Unemployment Rate (2002): 9,2%
Year of independence: 14th May 1948 from The League of Nations mandate under British administration.
Date of UN Membership: 11 May 1949.
Political System: Republic, elected parliament, multipartism.
Formalities: Passport valids for six months after the return date, no visa required for stays of less than 3 months
Sources (figures) : Economist Intelligence Unit, UN Population Database, CIA.
- The website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs: http://www.mfa.gov.il/mfa
All Israeli news
- on Isranews.com: http://isranews.com/
- on the website of the Israeli newspaper Haaretz associated with the International Herald Tribune for the English version (Center left): http://www.haaretz.com/
- the Palestine Post website with continuously updated articles on Palestine: http://wn.com/palestine_daily
- Relations between the European Community and Israel date back to 1975
- Since 1978 the European Investment Bank (EIB) has granted over 300 million Euros to Israel.
- Because of its high level of economic development, Israel is not a recipient of financial assistance allocated under MEDA bilateral cooperation. However, Israel is eligible and has regional programs financed by MEDA.
- Signed in 1995, the Association Agreement between EU and Israel entered into force in June 2000. It provides the liberalization of trade for agricultural products, services and free movement of capital. On the political front, the Association Agreement provides that the dialogue between Israel and the EU will result each year by a ministerial meeting in an Association Council.